John and Nancy Scott Slatten family

NANCY SCOTT d/o Andrew S. & Anna Longest Scott b. 22 Feb 1811 Lincoln co. Ky. d. 27 Nov 1886 Des Moines, Polk co. Iowa  m. 30 Jun 1830 Sangamon co. Ill. John Slatten s/o Joseph & Martha Allen Slatten b. 5 Feb 1809 Garrard co. Ky. d. 7 Mar 1881 Des Moines, Polk co. Iowa.  John is buried in Woodland cemetery, but there is no stone for Nancy if she is buried there.  They moved from Sangamon co. Ill. to Dewitt co., and then to Des Moines, Iowa in 1856. They apparently ran a hotel there called Slatten House. It was the same hotel that Nancy's brother Wilson Alexander Scott built in the early days of Des Moines. It was in a brick house near the east approach to the Rock Island bridge. It later became the "Hawkeye" and later the "Refuge of Sin and Prostitution" (until it was torn down). In 1880, John and Nancy were living at 105 Market Street in Des Moines; John was listed as being in the "Hay & Coal" business (with an Anna T. Luther, age 15, a granddaughter; Anna Tilda Luther b. Dec 1864 Iowa  d. 2 Mar 1951  Marion, Guadalupe co. Texas or Waco, McLennan co. Texas  m. 1887 Henry Deans b. 13 May 1847 Roxburgshire, Scotland  d. 20 Jun 1920 Dawes co. Nebraska, buried Evergreen Cemetery, Dawes co. Nebraska; Anna was listed in a county history as "a daughter of a prominent physician of Iowa"; she was not in the 1870 census).

They had at least 8 children: